A basic toy car uses one of the most important simple machines: a wheel and axle. Use materials found around the house and your imagination to design and build your own toy car with spinning wheels. Then add a propelling device, such as a balloon or sail, and see how far it will go!
– Cardboard, plastic bottle or other container to use as body of the car, pencils, wooden skewers or wire to use as axles, bottle caps, CDs or something round to use for wheels, straws, liquid glue, tape, a lot of imagination!
Challenge your car engineering skills by testing the following:
– How will you make the wheels of your car spin?
– What can you use to power your car? How far will it go?
– What are the challenges and results of different car designs?
– Video for Younger Students
– Video for Older Students
– Written Instructions
Click here to take this challenge to the next level.