There are lots of ways to create characters in movies. Sometimes the characters are animated, sometimes they are acted out by real people, and sometimes they are made with puppets. Create your own puppet character for your movie, or create your own costume pieces out of cardboard using household materials.
– Paper Plates
– Toilet paper tubes
– Colorful paper
– Anything else around the house that will help add to your characters “costume”
Tips and Thoughts
– Draw a picture of your puppet or character before building. What form do they take, what do they wear, and what are they like?
– To help get a better idea of what your characters personality is, write down adjectives that describe them. Are they fun? Brave? Shy?
– Another fun way to develop a character is to think about how they speak. Think of your favorite character from a movie. Will your character have a similar way of speaking?
– Video for Younger Students
– Video for Older Students
– Written Instructions
Take this challenge to the next level: It may not be Halloween, but these three DIY character Costumes sure look fun. What kind of character costume could you make using what you have around the house?