Saturday, November 4, 10:00am – 5:00pm
Celebrate the 10th annual Kids Euro Festival at KID Museum! We’ll have Europe-themed activities like building Dutch windmills, sewing Pinocchio hats, and more — as well as a free creative writing workshop with Dutch novelist, Anna Woltz.
Explore the exciting process of inventing a story with Dutch novelist, Anna Woltz, author of 21 novels for children and adults. Ms. Woltz will also read excerpts of her novel Aips (“Plaster Cast”), which won a Dutch literary prize in 2016. Age 8 – 12. Time 1:00. Free. Register here.
This event is brought to you by the 10th annual Kids Euro Festival, a two-week long festival of European arts and culture presenting free activities to D.C. metro area children and their families. With programs both for the general public and for school groups, more than 10,000 DC-area children and their families enjoy Kids Euro Festival programs each year. This is made possible by the 28 European Union countries and the European Union Delegation in Washington in cooperation with the European-American Cultural Foundation. For the full lineup of events, please visit www.kidseurofestival.org and follow us at #KidsEUFest.
Open Explore Activities ($12/child; adults free. 10am – 5pm):
KID Museum’s Kids Euro Fest Open Explore will feature over ten hands-on activities that incorporate cultural, artistic, and STEM learning. Some highlights include:
- Matryoshka Patch Tote Bag: This activity uses felt, fabric glue plus needles and thread to teach basic hand sewing techniques. Sew your own Russian nesting doll, Matryoshka patch onto a tote bag and bring it home. 2nd grade +. ($5 material fee)
- Dutch Windmill: This activity uses wooden dowels, popsicle sticks, paper and propellers to create your own version of a Dutch windmill. See how fast your windmill can spin.
- Ancient Rome Helmet: Ancient Rome helmets–known as Galea–were worn by Roman soldiers and gladiators. The helmets were made out of iron, brass, or feather depending on the person’s hierarchy rank.
- Wycinanki Paper Cutting: Cut your own Wycinanki and add layers for more intricate designs.
- Horezu Rooster: Learn how to make a block printing of your own Horezu rooster.
- Fleur-de-Lis: Create your own style of fleur-de-lis through block printing.
- Pipe Dreams: This activity uses giant plastic pipes, elbows and hoses to create complicated ball runs. Connect what you like and see where gravity takes you.
- Wind Tubes: This activity uses paper cones, tissue paper, pipe cleaners and pre-cut foam pool noodles to build flying contraptions. Learn about aerodynamics as you test your designs in our wind tubes.
..and many more!